Most people know what sports mouthguards are! They are a plastic covering worn over the teeth to protect teeth from being traumatised during sport games.
Mouthguards should be used by everyone both children and adults who play a contact sports such as; football, soccer, hockey, boxing, and basketball.
There are different types of mouthguards for different types of sports. For young children in contact sports with non contact rules, a single layer mouthguard maybe of choice, where as a teenager playing full contact sports may require a triple layer mouthguard for complete protection.
At Lucas Dental we can not express enough the importance of mouthguards.
Did you know that:
- Athletes are 60 times more likely to suffer harm to teeth when not wearing a mouth guard.
- 80% of traumatic dental injuries occur to the top front teeth.
- Playing basketball you are 5 times more likely to sustain a tooth injury than playing football.
- More than 5 million teeth per year are injured or knocked out.
- Dental injuries result in nearly $500 million being spent on replacing teeth.
- The cost to replace a single front tooth with an implant is approximately $4000 to $5000, where a correctly custom formed mouthguard would only cost you approximately $180 to $250.